Tuesday, November 13, 2007

 

Sweet, Sweet Potato Salad with Orange & Cranberries

.
I feel so lame!

I made this the other day as a way to kick off the holiday season...and I gotta say. It was not to my taste. (Too, too sweet.)

But I was, decidedly, in the minority. Everyone else present at it's mid-day unveiling devoured it, all while making happy-mouth sounds.

Just goes to show.

I am not the arbiter of taste. (Darn!)

Shrug.

It did take a purdy picture though! And who doesn't respond to a purdy plate of food, right? ...Right.

One of the people who did find it delectable (I am SO not that person.), said "it tastes like Thanksgiving in a bowl! Yum!" which was, technically, what I was going for, so that made me all warm and gooey inside.(But also a bit hungry, since I didn't eat much of it.)

What can I say, it's all about pleasing the peeps!

So, I am posting it here. Because, um, I said I would, and you are my peeps too, (awww) and I wanna share!

So try this my peaches, and (if you like the combo as it is...) taste the joy!


1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Zest and juice of one large orange
2 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
5 lbs sweet potatoes , peeled, cut into cubes
1 cup chopped green onions
1 cup pecan bits and pieces
1/2 cup golden raisins (Sultanas)
1/4 cup dried cranberries


1/4 cup dried cherries

In a blender, combine the first seven ingredients. Whip-um-up. Set aside.

Boil your sweet potatoes until they are just tender. Drain and transfer to large bowl. Allow to cool then add green onions, parsley, pecans, and the sultanas and cranberries.

Toss gently with the dressing, trying not to squarsh (no, that is not really a word.) the taters. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

Serves a gang of people.





___________________________________

Nutmeg has been cultivated for more than 1,000 years

Biodynamics, an agricultural movement, is based on a series of lectures given in the 1920s by Austrian philo­so­pher Rudolf Steiner. The movement views the vineyard (or farm) as an ecological whole—not just the vines, but also the soil, insects and other local flora and fauna. Or, "The microcosm reflects the macrocosm." - Food and Wine.com

Nearly four dozen people were arrested at a weekend party east of Peoria, IL. The gathering was advertised as a "triple-kegger" featuring pudding wrestling. -NBC.com

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Sounds good to me!
 
I have never met a food that is too sweet! I'm sure I'd love this!
 
Cara - You totally should! It's not exactly pecan pie sweet or anything, its just (to me) a bit of a disconnect in the flavors (and yet, I put them in soup recently and loved it. LOL)
 
Hi Rachael,
Through Technorati I found a site that's stealing your posts. The post I saw was the one about Shauna's book with the brussels sprouts. I cn't see your e-mail address on the site, but if you haven't seen it, e-mail me and I will send you the link. kalynskitchen (at) comcast (dot) net

I did report it to google.
Kalyn
 
Beautiful, beautiful colours!!
 
Knowing me, I'd probably leave out the maple syrup. (I don't use butter or sugar in the Thanksgiving sweet potato dish, either!) But I, like you, don't tend to go for stuff that's really sweet.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking