Friday, April 20, 2007

 

Fried Avocados with Fruit Salsa

.
This seems insane, right? Breaded and fried avocados?

I mean, really. Yikes!

But...

Insanely GOOD is what you should be thinking.

Look, I too was skeptical, but I thought it through and decided to give it a whirl. I mean, life is short kids! Why not go on and make something different?

And you really can't go wrong with deep-fried. Right? Right.

Fried is my favorite food group after all...

And you know what?

This is the ultimate. Mouthwatering decadence. Crispy, smooth, spicy, sweet, salty, rarefied, divinity.

If you got the time and you got the dime (and the waist-line. Ha ha) get thee to the market then get on home and make a serving of these to munch. You'll thank me peaches, you really will.

Try it, and enjoy.



1 small pink papaya, peeled and seeds removed
4 green kiwis, peeled
2 red bell peppers
1 red jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
1/2 cup brown sugar
Zest and 1/4 cup lime juice

6 avocados, somewhat firm
3 eggs
Sea salt and black pepper
1 package panko bread crumbs*
5 cups canola oil
Tortilla Chips to serve

Dice some of the papaya, kiwi, bell pepper and chile pepper. Add the rest along with the sugar, lime zest and juice in a food processor and puree. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Combine the diced fruit with the pureed batch. (You can also leave it all diced, or puree it all. I just find the puree can get soupy...)

Beat eggs in small mixing bowl until combined. Place panko crumbs in separate bowl and season with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in heavy large skillet at least 2 inches deep.

Heat to hot but not smoking. Cut avocados into half, tip to tail. Remove the pit, and using a spoon, scoop the flesh out of the skin.

Dip each avocado half into the egg and then into the panko crumbs.

Fry until crisp and golden.

Transfer to paper towels, season with salt.

Fill with fruit salsa and serve.

*Why panko? They are crispy and have more texture than plain breadcrumbs. I don't know that I would make this with regular breadcrumbs. If you can't get Panko, try finely crumbled crackers.
________________________________

A collector for the Royal Horticultural Society of Britain sent fresh kiwi's to Britian from China in 1847, and another collector sent the seeds to England in 1900. Kiwi plants were first exported from China to the United States in 1904, and seeds were brought to New Zealand in 1906.

Are you taking part in the Eat Local Challenge?

Demand for organic milk in the U.S. has been growing 20 percent or more a year, so much so that in 2005, some retailers posted signs in their dairy cases apologizing for not having enough of it. - NY Times

Labels: ,


Comments:
I fully believe that this was amazing, now I've just got to get over my fear of deep frying...
 
I agree this sounds amazing, but I've got a bit of that fear of frying too! Thanks for the tip about the dried coconut milk. I'm definitely going to look for it. Amazing as it may seem, Salt Lake has one really great Indian market, plus several small ones.
 
I only W I S H I had a fear of deep frying, but sadly I don't. However, this is one step too close to Paula Deen's recipe for Deep Fried Butter. Stay away from the edge! **Kidding--you rock**
 
Oh my gawd. I love frying but never heard of this one. I too adore fried foods. I even have 2 different fryers. I don't like frying in Canola oil but prefer rice oil because the smoke point is higher.
Have your tired fried Lobster??
 
Do you peel the avocado first?
 
These sound wonderful. I need to get my husband to eat more "green" stuff. This might work.
 
I've been eating something similar at Trudy's in Austin, TX for years. Theirs is a fried, breaded avocado stuffed with spiced chicken and cheese and then covered in salsa. Can't wait to try this recipe.
 
wow, I've never heard of deep frying an avocado before! how about drizzling with some sweetened condensed milk too! yum.
 
I lived at Trudy's while at UTAustin so will have to head back to try their version. I made this author's fry last night with fresh La Mesa, CA avocado and my god they are fast and easy to make. You can also put them on a rack over a pan in the oven to keep them warm for the many guests you will have once they find you make such things.We stuffed ours with a cooked shrimp/onion/pepper mix topped with cheddar and broiled to bubble. Sals and black beans with chips underneath. They do cook fast so keep an eye on them. I think I will try the papaya next though--- less rich that way. I may even try this with poached eggs, salsa, and corn/polenta or corn mush this weekend! Great silky texture. My wife's eyes widened when she saw the things. I am tempted to add spicy chicken in the middle of two halves and drop that into the oil (from a safe distance) and when done pour a sharp cheddar cheese sauce over the thing.
 
I just had Stuffed Fried Avocado at Las Palmas in Houston and it was awesome. However, the nutrition facts are terrible. These are a heart attack waiting to happen. The content of the one I had was 1554 calories, 630 from Fat, Cholesterol-607 mg, Sodium 11,196mg....I'm going to lighten this recipe up and see if I can make it as an appetizer with a much lighter batter.

They are so decadent....I love them.
 
Had fried avacados last weekend at the Bravo Restuarant in Fort Lauderdale, Fl..They were wornderful.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking