Thursday, November 17, 2005

 

Autumn Veggie Tacos

.
Me and my friends, well, one thing we find imperative to our happiness (oh dear, I can hear the Ombudsman cringing. That boy, I swear, he teases me mercilessly) is a good Mexican take out. Now, I know you know that I know that you know that fish tacos RULE. But its not just tacos mariscos that gives me such a blissed out sense of contentment, it's pretty much anything you can roll up in a tortilla.

That is why when I was running late to a viewing party (at which, I seem to have over indulged in merlot), and called to explain it was traffic (its always traffic, isn't it), I was instantly forgiven after offering to pick up some alimento delicioso from Loteria grill. This spot, in the historic Farmers Market is a love it or hate it kind of place, and me, well, I'm on the lovin' side of that fence for sure.

So you know how when you are in a hurry you just start ordering like a crazed person? I started with six items, and I swear, $150 later, I ended up with about 32 while just trying to make sure everyone would get something they liked.

That done, I headed back out, completely missed the show I was supposed to be seeing (whoops.) and was still hailed as a hero for showing up with good grub.

The most unexpectedly popular item was, well, I don't have a clue what it was actually called since my ordering had been so frenzied (and I mentioned the wine right?) I just know it was potato and mushroom and poblanos, no extraneous salsa or cheese, but a few other things that I have tried to recreate here. (Next time I swing by there, I promise to write down what really went in it, I'm sure I'm so off...it's probably cauliflower and pork cracklin's. Hee) Any which way, what I came up with is outstanding good. For one thing, it's a balanced meal, (all the colors of the rainbow! And isn't that what we tell little kids we should eat at every meal?) full of autumnal flavors, deep carmelized flavors, meatiness without meat (thanks to the mushrooms, which I sliced super thick) and truly filling.

It's different for sure, being kinda earthy and cheeseless and meatless and whatnot, but you will be suprised at how outstanding it is without those things too. Then again, if you are finding you are missing those things, go right ahead and add away! Either which way, please do try it, and enjoy!


4 whole wheat tortillas
1 large sweet potato, baked
1 cup mushrooms, sliced thick and sauteed until browned
1 large onion, sauteed until golden
1 large poblano pepper, roasted (or green bell)
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 leaves fresh sage, minced




Compose by mashing the sweet potato onto one half of each of the tortillas. Top with the rest of the ingredients, season with salt and pepper or chile flakes, fold over and enjoy!

Makes four

______________________________

You love me right? Then go see Zathura!

Today is National Home Made Bread Day

Interested in quaffing wine made by Celebrity Winemakers? Here are some to choose from.
Olivia Newton-John, (Singer) Koala Blue Shiraz $7.95
Francis Ford Coppola, (Director) Diamond Series Claret Cabernet Sauvignon, $19
Vince Neil, (Mötley Crüe frontman) V Cabernet Sauvignon $17.95
Richard Branson, (Record mogul) Virgin Vines Shiraz, $9.99
Bob Dylan (Yes, Bob Dylan) Planet Waves Table Red, $100

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Rachael:

Right into the very core of my heart you have jumped. To be able to simply screech onto the freeway and actually, physically travel to places like this in a short time makes me crazy. New York lacks the depth of mexican food stands you enjoy in your part of the world. I make due by preparing my own, subject of course to availability of the things you take for granted, like fresh pablanos. I think I told you about Los Sanchez in Anaheim, a place so etherial to me that I can almost smell the carnitas just thinking about the place. You're a peach for writing about this. Thanks.
 
Mariscos, Rachsel, mariscos with an s in the middle. love, PK
 
Gracias, Señor Bueno Pedro, I have rectified my faux pas. (See there, I is MULTI lingual! Whhoooo-eee!) Spell check on blogger is less than helpful sometimes...it doesn't even recognize the word "blogger." LOL

And Champurrado -
I am sad to hear poblanos are not accessible in your hood.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking