Wednesday, April 20, 2005

 

Salmon Wrapped In Chard Leaves


A few nights ago I had the distinct pleasure of giving a cooking class to three woman I already know and adore. I cannot begin to put into words what a fantastic time it was. There was a level of relaxation that was beyond delightful. (I was even so brazen as to wear sandals while I cooked, instead of my usual “sensible shoes.” Hee hee) I wish you all had been there.

These women are all television producers who are extremely professional, well-respected and outrageously talented. (Not to mention smolderingly hot. Yeow!) When I typically see them, the talk leans Hollywood more than food…so that this evening was all about what I am an expert in was a nice twist. I may have been exhausted, but I can always talk food.


The absolute best part (aside from just getting to be teaching people who really were interested) was when towards the end I suggested taking a picture of the food. It was like lightning. There was a palpable change in the air and they all, on a dime, switched into professional mode. I suddenly felt a little like a TV star. They were just this incredibly well oiled machine, lining up shots, styling, blocking, you name it. I was entranced. And a little giddy. It was just so cool. I was like a teenager in love. To top that, when they actually sat down and ate the food and loved it all and thanked me oh-so-sweetly with a truely thoughtful gift, my night was complete. Of course, the pictures they took, I dont have yet, so for now, I will post what I shot, (not nearly as glam, Im sure) and the recipe we did, which was delicious! Enjoy!

1 large onion, chopped fine
1 carrot, chopped fine
1 granny smith apple, peeled and chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoons vegetable oil (or if you have it, grapeseed)
1 750 ml bottle of burgundy wine
10 large mushrooms, sliced
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Dijon mustard
Fresh ground black pepper
1 bunch large leafy greens (either chard or mustard greens or bok choy), separated, ribs removed and steamed
4 skinless salmon filets
chives

In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook until browned the onion, carrot, apple, garlic, in your oil. Add the wine and port and reduce over a low flame until thickened, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and strain.

Rinse the fish and pat dry. Rub one side with the mustard, sprinkle with pepper and wrap in the leafy greens. Set aside.

In a large sauté pan, heat the remaining oil over a medium high flame. Add the mushrooms and sauté, without stirring, until golden. Add the fish packets to the pan along with the wine sauce. Cover and reduce the flame to low. Cook approx. 6 minutes or until fish is opaque throughout. Remove the fish and then wisk the butter into the sauce to melt. Serve the sauce over the fish.

Serve with a garnish of chopped chives.


Makes enough for four people



_____________________________________________________

In 2003, shrimp overtook canned tuna as America's favorite seafood.

There are some 2,000 species of shrimp and prawns (the decapod family). About 200 are considered edible. Of those, about 20 different kinds are available in U.S. markets.

The most plentiful shrimp come from warm waters. Cool-water shrimp tend to be smaller and multiply less rapidly. The most-caught shrimp in the United States is the brown shrimp (Penaeus aztecus), from the south Atlantic coast and the Gulf of Mexico. White shrimp (Penaeus setiferus) and pink shrimp (Penaeus duorarum) from the Gulf and south Atlantic.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking