Thursday, March 10, 2005

 

Randy's Donuts


My favorite boy needed a ride to the airport this morning at a particularly unholy hour. I don't know if it was the fact I was watching the sun rise, the extreme levels of caffeine in my system or what, but on the way home I suddenly had a craving for donuts. (Roadside advertising DOES work!) Not just any donuts mind you -- the world famous Randy’s donuts. (Who, by the way, have a webcam, if you are so interested ) Like many a reviewer has noted, Randy’s is hard to pass by for many reasons, including the fact it is right near the airport freeway exit, but the kitch factor also looms large (if only for having a really big sign that was built in 1953. See picture below.) and I do love my Americana Kitch so I just had to stop and indulge.

So at 6 am, I stopped in (walked up actually) to get a selection to take home with me. There were a lot of great choices, but there was also a line of hungry people behind me, so I quickly opted for three classics: chocolate covered, buttermilk and an apple fritter. (I wanted a jelly filled too, but my waistline begged for mercy.) I got them back to my car and started the long drive home. I made it about one mile before I had to dive in.


So how did they taste? First the chocolate. The chocolate coating was smooth and even and had a good cocoa flavor, while the donut itself was large, fresh, sugary and airy. I tried to savor it, but it was hard to do. The buttermilk which was perfectly dense and had a smooth crumb and just the right amount (very subtle) of tang and was positively delicious. At this point, my mouth was coated with sugary residue so I started in on my large cup of coffee that was brewed fresh, strong and hot, while alternating with a small box (how cute and retro!) of cold milk (it just seemed right). For the final test I bit into the apple fritter. It was nirvana. Fresh and perfect, dense and moist with a touch of cinnamon and big chunks of appley bits. I was one happy girl.

I only indulge in donuts once or twice a year, and I have to say, it was worth every bite, plus the entire calorie splurge cost less than $5.00. A treat AND a value!

Randy's donuts is open 24 hours a day, and in my opinion, make the absolute best breakfast confection in Los Angeles. (Take THAT Krispy Kreme)

Randy's Donuts is located at 805 West Manchester Avenue Inglewood, CA 90301
_______________________________________

Archaeologists have found petrified fried cakes with holes in them in the southwestern U.S. in prehistoric Native American ruins.

National Doughnut Day is June 23rd

10 billion donuts are made every year in The United States. (Is that a good thing?)

National donuts chain Krispy Kreme was founded in 1937, rival Dunkin' Donuts in 1950



Comments:
That was a great review. I go to Randys every time I am in LA. Thanks!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking