Tuesday, October 21, 2008

 

Smoky Carrot Puree

.
I heart the beach.

Do you?

I want to live all of my days where I can hear the sultry sound of pounding of the waves on the shore and where the seafood is fresh (and sustainable).

Where there is salt in the air and there is only a slim chance of inclement weather. (So, obviously not on the beaches of, say, Norway. Lovely though they may be.) I want to jump in the water and splash baby splash!

So it's a darned good thing that I live so nearby and can get there so often (Armed with #50 sun block. I like the beach and my skin!) and that my extra fab friends are up for it too.

Last week, in some sort of cosmic coming together of happiness I found myself on my favorite isolated strip of shoreline with two of my most darling peeps, That Pretty Girl and The Paparazzi. (Not THE paparazzi, I mean a man who I call that. Due to his giant…lens.) Two people I could spend hours listening to, since they tend to chatter in Italian. It’s so chic.

We lounged, we lazed, we lolled. We talked about food. We gazed out at the sparkling sea and tried to reconcile with the fact it is being depleted and needs us to stop it all ready.

Then the topic of edible sea vegetables came up. I mean, I was there after all, so of course it did.

I love me some sea vegetables! (As established else where on this bloggity blog…)
They are so versatile and tasty and easy to gather and quick to replenish and as good for the ocean as for our bodies. Perfection!

So a week later, as the weather gets too chilly to pop out for a day in the sands, and I want to curl up at home, but still feel like the water is nearby, I can make this recipe, using smoked dulse. The best of the sea vegetables indeed. With the extra perky addition of a "hint of smoke." It's like they knew I was coming.

This side is a perfect balance of earth and sea. Sweet and smoky. Smooth and comforting. A bowl full of yum.

The simplest thing to put together and a four-star dish.

So try this my peaches, and taste the joy.

4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large potato, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup carrot juice
2 tablespoons smoked dulse

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. (Actually, how about boiling some water in an electric kettle, which is far more efficient and then adding it to a pot with some salt. Yea. Do that.)

Add the carrots and simmer at low heat for 15 minutes. Add the potatoes and simmer for an additional 10 minutes until everything is really soft.

Meanwhile, heat a small skillet and dry toast the dulse. It will change from blackish-brown to pinkish-brown. Remove from the heat and let cool.

Drain the water and add the carrot juice. Puree with an emersion blender until creamy soft.

Crumble the dulse and stir it in to the carrots. Top with a sprinkling of smoked salt.

Serves four.

(Carrots, Carrot Juice and Potatoes were local.)

© 2008 Fresh Approach Cooking
______________________________________

© 2008 Rachael at "Fresh Approach Cooking" http://www.freshcatering.blogspot.com
If you are not reading this at the aforementioned URL or in your RSS feed, the site you are looking at are slimy thieves making money off of my content. Creeps.

Check out the Mendicino Sea Vegetable company. Good people. Good products.

An Atlanta grocery store known as "Disco Kroger" is reopening after a $5.5 million transformation into an gourmet food store. The Kroger in the Buckhead neighborhood is becoming one of the chain's "Fresh Fare" locales with $1,000 temperature-controlled wines, fresh organic treats and chef-made entrees. The new store is scheduled to open Sunday. Despite the overhaul, the store's silver disco ball will still hang at the front entrance. It got the nickname in the 1980’s because it shared a shopping center with the Limelight disco in the city's clubbing district. - AP (In LA we have a "Rock n' Roll" Ralphs, because it's in Hollywood. Not to imply we are cooler...but really. Disco?)

What are you waiting for? Get your CWK Sustainable Supper Club tickets today. The dinner is this weekend.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Dulse? Never heard of it. But thanks for the delicious introduction. :)
 
First of all, this looks fabulous. I can also imagine it over some tofu... yum!

Second, I've totally been to that disco kroger! Its across the street from my ex's place... I really got a kick out of reading that tidbit.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking